Sunday, March 4, 2007

Untitled Post

Today is the last day of Chinese New Year... How time flies!! We are already 15 days into the year of the Boar. Went to my mother's friend house in Buona Vista for a home-style buffet and eat a little too much... Have to find a way too shed off the additional weight the following week, else my BMI will be too much....

Sort of miss CNY in Brunei... The atmosphere was so alive in Brunei but so dead in Singapore, which is an irony, as ethnic Chinese is the majority in Singapore, and the opposite in Brunei...

My neighbors invited at least three different lion dance troupes into their home the first day and another two troupes on the second... Guess this is when I started gorging down loads of junk food, beginning at Wang's open house - gathering point for all of my secondary classmates... But surprisingly none of the girls from my class turn up...

Lion Dancing at my neighbor's (dunno from which school)

Lion Dance At Wang's house

Gathering at Wang's house

Lion Dancing in my house

Other days were subsequently spent visiting and touring around. Went around some parts of KB and took some photos... Ah, the convenience of owning a personal transport!!

Flags were seen everywhere in towns and homes. Brunei's 23rd National Day (Hari Kebangsaan) falls on 23rd February, 6th day of CNY. HAPPY NATIONAL DAY!! Being a patriotic citizen (soon to be), I stayed on in Brunei till after the National Day Celebrations.

Flag of Brunei, proudly waving in the wind


More flags atop a building in town (left) and atop one of the tallest building in KB (right)

National Day Banner plying main roads in BSB (capital) in Jawi and Bahasa Melayu



National Day Celebrations in capital (courtesy of Brunei National Day website)

Took some random picture shots before I left the country, to remind myself of some views/buildings from Kuala Belait.

View of Belait River from my house


Largest mosque in town

An Istana in KB

Seriously I never knew that an istana existed in Kuala Belait, until when I studied for my Malay Exam (Ujian Bahasa Melayu) for obtaining citizenship, and have been wondering where is this Istana Kota Mangalela. Glad that I found it!!! Another place of mystery to me is the Rumah Tengkorak (House of Skulls).

Tamu within walking distance from my house

Tamu, I guess is something uniquely Bruneian. It is a dry market, selling mostly perishable groceries, like onions, fruits, vegetables and such, which opens weekly. Yet at the end, there are people selling fishes, prawns and such. Many people buy their stuffs and supplies from the tamu. Apart from a trading place, it is also a meeting place for many people and friends alike.

A busy week ahead. Sianz, quite a number of important deadlines to meet... Wish everyone has a happy week ahead!

1 comment:

Brunei Share said...

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
Hi there. I'd like your permission to repost 'About The Brunei Darussalam' article you have here on your blog, onto My BRUNEI SHARE BLOG to “share everthing about BRUNEI DARUSSALAM”. Thanks...http://virtual-bruneidarussalam.blogspot.com