Monday, May 7, 2007

What a day!!



I got a harrowing experience today. Things have been not smooth at all today, I am so glad that I finally made it through the day...

I was aroused from my slumber in the morning by a phone call and subsequently a knock on my door by a friend to return my money, and wasn't able to fall asleep again. Then when I get dressed in formal wear and all, my black working pants, which has been lying in the closet, ahh.., should I said, mysteriously vanished into thin air... I overturned my closet to no avail...

After the frantic search, I managed to find a substitute, a pair of trousers that looks just like black, and headed to LWN library, and after I press "print" to print my resume, suddenly there was a long queue for all the printing terminals, and when it was my turn, ALL NETWORK PRINTERS WENT DOWN!!! Everybody was effectively stalled in the printing room for about 20 minutes... Rushed for a quick lunch, and decided to took a taxi to Keppel Towers in Tanjong Pagar, as there was no way I can make it in time to the interview using the public transport... Costed me $17, including ERP charges, damn!!

I have no idea how I fare in the interview, and was told that I definitely couldn't be part of the firmware development... I do not have sufficient experience and our Engineering syllabus conveniently skipped RTOS (Real-Time Operating System), and instead taunted us with a lame NACHOS, whatever OS that is... Next, moving on to software aspect, I'm Java-based, and they are looking for expertise in C++ or .NET programming, both of which I have no experience in... FYI C++ is still the dominant language in current industries, and it's puzzling as to why there is a sudden change to embrace Java language... So much for a reputed "world-class" university and faculty which can't seemed to cater for industry demands...

Anyway, the second interviewer was rather interested in why am I stateless, do I possess a passport and whether I hope to be acquire a state?? I'm completely speechless as to what to reply as I do not want to make Brunei look bad, but I guess Brunei is doing itself a disfavor by not even expediting the citizenship process... I don't dare to retort that I'm STILL waiting to be registered as a citizen, because GOD KNOWS when that'll happen (probably some n months later) and it'll generate a fresh round of questions...

My interviewer proceeded to think I am from China, or my parents were from China, and was puzzled that my family is not from China, born in Brunei and stateless... He then wondered if Brunei nationals own any passports.... Probably he thinks Brunei is too backward and doesn't even know what is a passport... Nevertheless I am sure he has a negative view of Brunei now, though I do try to mitigate such negativity, without compromising ACTUAL facts as to what documents I am holding and how am I able to come to Singapore...

On my way home the soles of my leather shoes fall off... Damnz.... Fortunately I was already in Boon Lay, and managed to stagger to the bus stand... Now I'm having a headache what to wear for my presentation on Wednesday...

I guess I have to learn C++ on my own this coming long holidays... Haven't even work have to do self-upgrading already, lolx... I think I can change my nick to "suay kia", haha... Hopefully everything will just go well...

No comments: